Sunday, June 20, 2010

Selfish Jackass - Self Actualization



Lost in thought, I wonder who I truly am.

Am I the person you tell me I am, or am I the person I feel I am.

Common traits for someone who has reached self-actualization, according to wikipedia include:
"They embrace reality and facts rather than denying truth."
"They are accepting of themselves and others..."

For almost my whole life, people have gone to great lengths to tell me how selfish, spoiled, and mean I am.

If I face the facts, then perhaps I am all three, but perhaps people are mistaken. Misinterpretation can be dangerous. Possibly one reason that at age 27, I still feel like a teenager is that I still feel that I am misunderstood. Silly?

Regardless of what others say to me, I am me, and I know what I am worth. Just because I look angry from straining to see the computer screen without glasses for 10 years, and just because I am quiet in a social setting because I am not comfortable with inane banter and alcohol consumption, and just because I stand up for my principles in ways that others are afraid of does not mean I am some sort of pretentious and self-righteous ass.

Say what you will. Your negative thoughts and comments do not affect me and who I am. I love myself. I love people. I love humanity despite the flaws. And when you put me down? I love you too. And when I make mistakes, it weighs on me, same as it does you.

The world is a beautiful and ugly place but I am thankful for every moment I am given.

No comments: